Today is the appearance of Lalita-devi, the foremost of the eight sakhis. In Mayapur, we had a special darshan of Srimati Lalita-devi, decorated profusely with garlands and fragrant flowers. A colored display of description of the glories and prayers to Lalita devi adorned the sub-altar of Sri Radha-Madhava so that everyone could absorb themselves in the mood of the day.
Lalita is a very dear friend of Radha-Krsna.(Radha-Krsna-ganoddesa-dipika)
Lalitadevi is well-known for her contradictory and hot tempered nature. Her complexion is the color of gorocana (bright yellow pigment prepared from the urine of a cow) and her garments are the color of peacock feathers.
Her mother is Saradi-devi and her father is Visoka. Her husband is Bhairava who is a close friend of Govardhana-gopa (husband of Candravali).
Rupa manjari (Rupa Goswami) is the assistant and follower of Lalita-sakhi; thus all who consider themselves as Rupanuga bhaktas (followers of Rupa Goswami) are ultimately the servants of lalita-devi and thus through the media of the parampara should always be longing to engage in the service of her lotus feet. When that day comes that we are able to please her, she will engage us in the intimate loving service of Sri Sri radha-Krsna according to our heart’s desire.
Lalita-sakhi incarnated as Svarupa Damodara in the pastimes of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu and acted as his personal secretary. In fact, no one could approach or present anything to Caitanya Mahaprabhu without his sanction.
SRI LALITASTAKAM by Srila Rupa Goswami
1. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She worships the perspiration of Sri Sri Radha-Mukunda’s lotus feet and acts boldly, out of intense feelings of friendship for Them.
2. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. Her face defeats the beauty of the ambrosial corona of the full moon, her eyes are like those of an alarmed deer and she is expert in the art of decorating Sri Radhika.
3. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She wears a wonderful silk dress colored like a peacock with outstretched feathers, as well as a nice blouse, and her complexion defeats the golden splendor of gorocana.
4. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She teaches Sri Radhika the art of a left-wing heroine saying: “Radhe! Firmly reject this shrewd son of the king of Vraja, O immoral girl! Listen! Don’t be weak! I’m saying it for Your own good. Don’t submit to Him!”
5. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. Her eyes become red with anger if she sees the son of the king of Vraja cheating Sri Radhika even slightly, then she will promptly embarrass Him with her clever words.
6. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She is the abode of affection for the Queen of cowherders, Yasoda, she is the teacher of the art of friendship for all the sakhis and her love for Sri Radhika and Krsna is equal.
7. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She requests every girl in Vraja to join the party of Vrsabhanu’s daughter and who fulfills all desires of that girl (or of Sri Radhika).
7a. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. All her desires were at once fulfilled when she saw the path of Sri Radha in Vraja being blocked by a certain person.
8. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She always enjoys the festival of Radha and Vrajendrasuta’s meeting and she is the chief of all Radha’s dear girlfriends in Gokula.
9. Anyone who recites these prayers praising Lalita’s wonderful qualities with a pure vision will be lovingly counted amongst her own (friends or maidservants) by Sri Radhika, the brilliant desire vine of the family of the Lord of Kirtida (King Vrsabhanu).