Preaching is the essence. Purity is the force. Utility is the principle. Books are the basis.
Srila Prabhupada established the International Society for Krishna Consciousness to accomplish the preaching mission of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Lord Chaitanya unveiled the benediction rays of the His sankirtana mission to illuminate the whole world with love of Godhead. Srila Prabhupada wanted the devotees of ISKCON to march as soldiers on a great war against maya with the torch of sankirtana held high in order to spread the holy name to every town and village in the world.
Prabhupada stated that Sri Mayapur Chandrodaya Mandir is the international headquarters for ISKCON. By the grace of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu, devotees in ISKCON Mayapur have been handling the responsibility to preach Krishna consciousness well.
At present, preaching in Mayapur have succeeded in establishing various departments, each one staffed with dedicated devotees who are determined to participate in carrying out Srila Prabhupada’s great mission:
- Book distribution – Sankirtana department dedicated to widely distributing books of Srila Prabhupada.
- Congregational preaching – An extensive network of preachers who have built up a very large congregation of practicing devotees in East India.
- School Preaching — Jagrata Chhatra Samaj – Preaching to school children and cultivating them to become lifelong practicing Vaisnavas. The devotees also conduct student conferences in Mayapur.
- College preaching – Spreading Krishna consciousness to college and university students in West Bengal.
- Bhaktivedanta Gita Academy – Conducting correspondence courses on Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam in Bengali.
- Hari-nama preaching – Visitors are taught to write and chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.